top of page
Frequent Asked Questions you might have about living in Upsala
  • Where do I go to vote?
    All residence who reside in the city limits will vote at the Upsala City Hall, located at 320 Walnut Avenue, Upsala. If you have questions if you are not in the city limits, please go to: Voter Information Portal (
  • Do I need permit to build a fence?
    Yes, you will need a permit to build a fence. Additionally, you will need a permit to build a deck, swimming pool, shed, garage, addition, or home remodels. Visit our Planning and Zoning page to learn more and view all the requirements.
  • Can I have chickens?
    You are able to have chickens (no roosters allowed), ducks or geese. You must get a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) of a non domesticated animal and must be approved by the council.
  • How do I use the Upsala Compost Site?
    A compost site is provided for city residents as well as residents located northwest of Upsala on Fourth Avenue, beyond the pond. Contact the Public Works department at (320) 250-0753 to learn more about eligible areas and hours. Accepted items include: Leaves Grass clippings Brush three inches or less in diameter
  • Are recreational fires allowed?
    Recreational fires are allowed in the City of Upsala if a fire ring is used.
  • Are there rules for parking in the winter?
    The City of Upsala has an ordinance, which prohibits the parking of any vehicle on any street or alleyway within the city, during the months of November 1 through March 31 between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Vehicles in violation may be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense.
  • Can I rent the Upsala Recreation Building or the Upsala Community Center?
    The City of Upsala has two great options for gatherings! Upsala Recreation Building Located in the same building at the city offices, 320 Walnut Avenue, Upsala, this building provides residents and visitors with the opportunity to get active. The Recreation Building is equipped with indoor archery and horseshoe tracks. The building is complete with: a full kitchen and bar large cooler space electric stove microwave two refrigerators It is a wonderful and spacious area to get active, involved in the community, or throw a party. Fee Schedule: $150 PER DAY/EVENT: FRONT INCLUDING KITCHEN* $250 PER DAY/EVENT: ENTIRE BUILDING* *$200 refundable cleaning/damage deposit To reserve the building for your event please contact Jane at(320) 573-4950. Upsala Community Center Located on Main Street, this building is able to host 50 people comfortably. This is a perfect place to host a small intimate gathering, celebrate the birthday of a loved one, bridal and baby showers or just because. The Community Center is complete with: a place to serve your food table and chairs use of microwave Fee Schedule: $40 PER DAY/EVENT* *$75 refundable cleaning/damage deposit To reserve the center for your event, please contact them directly at (320) 573-4435.
  • How do I bring an issue to council?
    All City Council meetings are open to the public. However, if you have a specific item that needs to be addressed, you would need to be placed on the agenda for an upcoming meeting. You would need to contact City Hall, giving your name and the agenda item you wish to discuss.
  • Can I submit an absentee vote?
    Yes, you can. You will need to go to Morrison County (or which county you preside in) to obtain information regarding absentee voting. The City of Upsala does not administer absentee ballots. Go to: Voter Information Portal (
  • How do I hook up my sump pump?
    Sump pumps must be hooked up according to the following diagram. Sump pumps are not allowed to drain into the sanitary sewer system, they must drain outside. It is illegal to pump it into any drain, contact City Hall for more information. For reference, please check out Ordinance #62.
  • Can I drive my snowmobile in Upsala?
    If you are riding a snowmobile in the Upsala city limits, you need to follow the trail markers on the trails. Be considerate when driving on the road. No motorized vehicles allowed in the city park at any time.
  • How many animals can I have?
    In the Upsala city limits, you are able to have three total animals consisting of dogs or cats. Additional information: Dogs and cats are be kept within their owner’s property or on a leash when being walked. We suggest that your dog wear visible identification to make it easier to find the owner when lost. Cat owners are asked to keep your pet contained to your property.
  • Can you drive a four wheeler, golf card or side-by-side on city streets?
    Riding an ATV in Minnesota does not require a vehicle license of any kind. However, you do need a standard driver's license to operate your ATV on streets. This applies even if you are just crossing the road briefly or riding in the ditch alongside the road. Children and youth (without a license) are prohibited from driving a 4-wheeler, etc. No motorized vehicles allowed in the city park at any time.
  • When does my garbage and recycling get picked up?
    The city licenses LP Sanitation out of Long Prairie, MN. Recycling as part of their service and provides their own bins to residents. Please check out for more information on their recycling program or check out our Garbage and Recycling page on our website. Please have your garbage and recycling out on the curb by 6:00 a.m. on Monday mornings unless indicated in the below schedule. If anything changes, please check on All Roads Lead to Upsala Facebook page.
  • Can I burn my yard waste?
    The City of Upsala allows burning of yard waste, consisting of leaves and brush. You must have a burning permit. To purchase a burning permit, please go to
bottom of page